Stockton, Calif. – The Pacific women's tennis team defeated San Diego 5-2 on Saturday, April 4 at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts. The Tigers improved to 8-8 overall and 2-3 in West Coast Conference play, while San Diego dropped to 2-11 overall and 1-5 in WCC action.
"It was a great job today by the Tigers, taking care of business," said Head Coach Charlotte Scatliffe. "Hana and Iveta played some great doubles today which helped the team get off to a good start. They both also stepped it up in singles and played some tennis that was fun to watch. Christiana and Gergana played great as well, they got the job done at their spots helping to put up quick points for the team. We'll get back to work this week to prepare for USF and Santa Clara."
The Tigers won at No. 1 (Hana Ritterova/Iveta Masarova) and No. 3 (Francis Dean/Gergana Boncheva) to take the doubles point. Ritterova, Masarova, Christiana Ferrari and Boncheva all picked up singles wins to take the overall match. Ritterova's come from behind 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 1 clinched the match for Pacific.
The Tigers return to action with a road match at San Francisco on Friday, April 10 at 11:00 a.m.
Final Score: Pacific, 5, San Diego 2
1. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Drew Spinosa (USD) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Iveta Masarova (PAC) def. Marta Stojanovic (USD 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
3. Dana Oppinger (USD) def. Francis Dean (PAC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) def. Janine Koleta (USD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) def. Marisa Marsh (USD) 6-0, 6-1
1. Ritterova/Masarova (PAC) def. Spinosa/Oppinger (USD) 6-0
2. Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz/Santeusanio (PAC) vs. Stojanovic/Morkel-Brink (USD) 3-4 DNF
3. Dean/Boncheva (PAC) def. Koleta/Marsh (USD) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,5,3,1,4,2)