Moraga, Calif. - The Pacific Women's Tennis team was defeated at No. 45 Saint Mary's 6-1 on Saturday, March 21 at the Korth Tennis Complex. The Tigers dropped to 7-6 overall and 1-1 in West Coast Conference play, while the Gaels improved to 8-6 and 2-0 in WCC action.
"We knew Saint Mary's was going to be a tough team and that we would need whole hearted efforts from every player," said Head Coach Charlotte Scatliffe. "It's unfortunate we couldn't get that and ultimately fell short. Hana is playing some great tennis and had a good win against a ranked opponent and was cut short of finishing her doubles match in which she and Iveta were leading. We will continue to work hard and improve and look forward to heading north next weekend."
The Gaels started out 1-0 by taking the doubles point. Hana Ritterova defeated No. 103 ranked Jana McCord at No. 2 singles with a great comeback victory. She dropped the first set 6-3, but rallied to win 6-3 and 6-4.
The Tigers return to action with a West Coast Conference match at Gonzaga on Friday, March 27 at 11:00 a.m.
Final Score: Saint Mary's 6, Pacific 1
1. #49 Parminder Kaur/Jana McCord (SMC) vs. Hana Ritterova/Iveta Masarova (PAC) 4-5, DNF
2. Danielle Flores/Mary-Anne Jessup (SMC) def. Cristina Ruiz/Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-2
3. Jamie Pawid/Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Regina Suarez/Antonella Santeusanio (PAC) 6-3
SMC won the doubles point
1. #70 Danielle Flores (SMC) def. Iveta Masarova (PAC) 7-6, 6-3
2. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. #103 Jana McCord (SMC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Jamie Pawid (SMC) def. Francis Dean (PAC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Catherine Leduc (SMC) def. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Parminder Kaur (SMC) def. Antonella Santeusanio (PAC) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,4,5,6,1,2)