Las Vegas, Nev. - The Pacific women's tennis team won it's third straight match to open the 2015 season, as the Tigers pulled out a 4-3 victory at UNLV's Fertitta Tennis Complex on Saturday, Feb. 7. The Tigers improved to 3-0 with the victory.
After the Tigers took the doubles point with a pair of wins, then had wins from Hana Ritterova, Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz and Gergana Boncheva to clinch the win. Saenz clinched the match for Pacific with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 win over UNLV's Alexis Garrett.
"Wow! What a match! I am so incredibly proud of our ladies who showed immense resiliency once again squeaking out a match 4-3," said Head Coach Charlotte Scatliffe. "This was a true team effort that started out with a big clinch in doubles. Antonella and Cristina played some great doubles today getting off to a quick start with a 6-0 win. Two of our seniors Hana and Iveta really stepped it up when it mattered and clinched for us winning in a breaker. In singles it was a hard fight up and down the lineup. Hana played some amazing tennis staying aggressive throughout the whole match and making quick work of her opponent. Iveta had a hard fought battle and actually had two match points. Gergana, she came up big playing some gutsy tennis and remaining calm to take it in the third. Lastly, Cristina- so big! She showed so much heart and fight especially when it came down to her match with everyone watching. She stayed aggressive and wanted it more, that's what I'm most proud of. Great match for the tigers and I hope we can continue this fighting spirit tomorrow against a tough Kansas team."
The Tigers will be in action on Sunday, Feb. 8 at 10am against Kansas at UNLV.
Pacific 4, UNLV 3
1. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 6-3, 6-1
2. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) def. Iveta Masarova (PAC) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
3. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Francis Dean (PAC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Paoloa Artiga (UNLV) def. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 6-2, 7-5
5. Cristina Saenz deBuruaga Ruiz (PAC) def. Mercedes Lopez Valez (UNLV) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) def. Alexis Garrett (UNLV) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
1. Hana Ritterova/Iveta Masarova (PAC) def. Alexis Garrett/Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 7-6
2. Iren Kotseva/Santa Shumilina (UNLV) def. Regina Suarez/Francis Dean (PAC) 6-2
3. Antonella Santeusanio/Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz (PAC) def. Mercedes Lopez Valez/Paoloa Artiga (UNLV) 6-0