Stockton, Calif.-The Tigers kicked off the match with elevated spirits and an energy that excited the crowd. The Tigers dropped the doubles point but remained optimistic for the singles events.The doubles match featuring the freshman Hana Ritterova and sophomore Iveta Masarova turned out to be an epic battle which resulted in a final score of 8-7(4).
In the singles events, Tiger freshman Hana Ritterova made her debut in the No. 1 position against Klaudia Boczova. Another match highlight was that Regina Suarez scored a point for Pacific after her impressive win at the No. 6 position against Jessica Willet to post a final score of 6-4, 6-7(4), 1-0.
At the conclusion of the match, Head Women's Tennis Coach Charlotte Scatliffe stated, "We learned some needed lessons today. The Spartans came out to battle and played well. I was pleased to see Regina Suarez come through winning the one point for the Lady Tigers. Regina has been working on individual goal setting and getting outside her comfort zone. It all showed today as she was the final match out on court and is why she has been getting some big wins. I was happy to see Iveta and Hana play another great No. 1 doubles match. We are getting some consistency in spots on the team and will only be improving from here. We had a fantastic turn out of fans today and sincerely appreciate all the support as we enter our first conference match of the season on Sunday, March 3rd at 11AM against Cal Poly SLO."
The Tigers now hold a season record of 5-4 and 0-0 in the Big West Conference. They will engage in competiton against Cal Poly on March 3rd to kick off their Big West Conference competitions.
1. Sebastiani Leon Chao/ Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Hana Ritterova/ Iveta Masarova (PAC) 8-7(4)
3. Juliana Bacelar/ Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Gergana Boncheva/ Regina Suarez (PAC) 8-4
1. Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Hana Ritterova (PAC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Sebastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Iveta Masarova (PAC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Susan Te (PAC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Juliana Bacelar (SJSU) def. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Jessica Willet (SJSU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 1-0
Final Match Score:
Pacific 1 San Jose State University 6