Las Vegas, Nev.-Pacific is now 2-1 in Las Vegas after having defeated New Mexico during their first road trip of the season. The Tigers posted a cool match score of 5-2 and are eagerly awaiting their next match while on the road.
In the doubles competitions, the Tigers quickly closed out the No. 1 and No. 3 positions securing the doubles point in favor of Pacific.
In the singles competitions Pacific closed out four of the six competitons. All of the matches were won in straight sets aside from the No. 1 position where Iveta Masarova defeated Jodie Williams after the first set due to her opponent retiring. Sophomore Gergana Boncheva also had a strong performance against Ros-Polly Nguyen in which she proved victorious with a confident score of 6-2, 6-1.
After the match, Head Women's Tennis Coach Charlotte Scatliffe remarked, "We got off to a great start by putting the pressure on Aggies during doubles. We had quick matches as 1 and 3 doubles which was essential in giving us the confidence we needed before going into our singles matches. I am very pleased to see the Tigers come together as a team. This was our first road trip and it was fantastic to see our fight and spirit present throughout our three matches here and not just on our home turf."
The Tigers have now improved their season score to 3-2 and 0-0 in conference play.
1. Iveta Masarova/Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Jodie Williams/Denise Van Der Ben (NMS) 8-1
2. Susan Te/Christiana Ferrari (PAC) vs. Ginet Pinero/Annemieke Witte (NMS) unfinished
3. Gergana Boncheva/ Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen/Lisa Roslanova (NMS) 8-1
1. Iveta Masarova (PAC) def. Jodie Williams (NMS) 6-4 Ret.
2. Hana Ritterova (PAC) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMS) def. Susan Te (PAC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Annemieke Witte (NMS) def. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 6-4, 6-7(5)
5. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMS) 6-4, 7-6(4)
Final Match Score: Pacific 5, New Mexico State 2