Pacific Just Shy Of Success Against San Francisco Dons
San Francisco, Calif.-
The Tigers started off the match against the San Francisco Dons at an advantage. Pacific had secured the doubles point by winning two of the three doubles matches. With this momentum the Tigers pressed on with confidence into the singles events. However, they experienced a great deal of competition.
In the singles competitions the Tigers secured two positions and went on to play two three set matches. Once the score was tied at three all, the last match came down to the No. 4 position, but the Tigers came up just shy of the win in a three set battle.
After the conclusion of the match, Coach Chiene stated, "I thought we competed really well considering most of our team was dealing with the flu bug during the week and even today. Our No.3 singles player, Susan Te, was out because of a leg injury which added to the challenge. Going through this adversity will only make us stronger down the road. With spring break this week the girls will have a few days to recover and be ready to focus on finishing out the rest of the season in a successful way."
Order of Completion: 3, 2, 1*
1. Iveta Masarova (Pacific) def. Julia Wartenburger (USF) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
2. Julia Hansen (Pacific) def. Milica Hadzi Tanovic (USF) 7-5, 6-2
3. Melinda Akerbrant (USF) def. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
4. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Alana McMahon (USF) def. Regina Suarez (Pacific) 6-0, 6-3
6. Blair Reed (USF) def. Megan Yu (Pacific) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Completion: 6, 5, 2, 1, 3, 4**
* Denotes the doubles securing point
** Denotes the match securing win
Final Match Score:
Pacific 3, San Francisco 4