As the Tigers prepared for their match against Santa Clara University Broncos, they coped with the fact that they would have to forfeit two of their matches due to the fact that several of their players suffered from injuries. Having started off with a disadvantage, the Tigers remained optimistic and prepared to face the Broncos.
In the doubles events, the Tigers forfeit the No. 3 spot and came up short in the first and second spot as well yielding the doubles match point to the Broncos.
Once the singles matches got underway, the Tigers began to assimilate their opponent's strategy and did their best to remain unpredictable. However, the Tigers fell short of the win in four of the five events, having forfeited the sixth. Sophomore Susan Te proved victorious in her match against Bronco Alex Zaniewski which resulted in a final match score of 6-4, 6-2.
At the conclusion of the match, Coach Chiene stated, "Today we were defeated by a very good Santa Clara team. Having our No. 1 player Iveta Masarova out because of an eye infection proved too much to overcome. Having to default two matches, playing with only five players, with everyone moving up a spot was a huge challenge. We competed real well and had some bright spots. Susan Te moving up to No. 2 and winning was a gutsy performance. Julia at No. 1 played the No. 37 player in the country real tough. These matches help make us better heading into Conference play next weekend."
The Tigers will now prepare for their match against Long Beach State. Pacific will face Long Beach State in Long Beach, California. This will be their first Conference match of the season.
3. Forfeit, Santa Clara victory by default
1. No. 37 Katie Le (Santa Clara) def. Julia Hansen (Pacific) 6-4, 6-3
2. Susan Te (Pacific) def. Alex Zaniewski (Santa Clara) 6-4, 6-2
3. Kelly Lamble (Santa Clara) def. Gergana Boncheva (Pacific) 6-1, 7-5
4. Kacie Wagner (Santa Clara) def. Summer Irvin (Pacific) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
5. Maggie McGeorge (Santa Clara) def. Regina Suarez (Pacific) 6-0, 6-1
6. Forfeit, Santa Clara victory by default
Order of Completion:
Pacific 1 Santa Clara 6