Tigers Take Second At The Big West Conference Tournament After Falling 4-2 To UCSB
Indian Wells, Calif. - Pacific fell to UC Santa Barbara, 4-2, in the finals of the Big West Men's Tennis Championship at Indian Wells Tennis Garden Sunday. The Tigers got off to a rough start in the doubles competitions leaving them at a disadvantage going into the singles events.
In the singles events, two tigers picked up victories for the Tigers. sophomore Denis Stolyarov in the No. 3 position and sophomore Ben Mirkin in the No. 5 position. Both matches were picked up in straight sets. Stolyarov's match was against the Santa Barbara's Bouillin with a final score of 7-6(5), 6-2. Mirkin's match against Alexander Gryaznov resulted in a final score of 6-1, 6-4.
Pacific fell to 16-9 with the loss while UC Santa Barbara improved to 12-13. The Tigers have now concluded their 2012-2013 season and eager await the 2013-14 season.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
(5) UC SANTA BARBARA 4, (3) PACIFIC 2
1. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB) def. Verbeek/Stolyarov (PAC) - 8-3
2. Recknagel/Bouillin (UCSB) def. Golding/Hamilton (PAC) - 8-5
3. Andrew Riminton/Miles Seemann (UCSB) vs. Alameh/Mirkin - DNF
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. Sem Verbeek (PAC) vs. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) - DNF
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Alex Golding (PAC) - 6-2, 6-2
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) - 7-6 (5), 6-2
4. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Daniel Alameh (PAC) - 7-6 (1), 6-4
5. Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Jake Johnson (UCSB) def. Alex Hamilton (PAC) - 7-5, 4-6, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 6, 4