Indian Wells, Calif.-Third-seeded Pacific grappled with UC Davis in a tight first round matchup of the Big West Men's Tennis Championship, but eventually sent the sixth-seeded Aggies home with a 4-2 victory at Indian Wells Tennis Garden Thursday.
The Tigers found themselves in an early 1-0 hole as the Aggies won two tiebreakers in the doubles. Brett Bacharach and Parker Kelley notched a 9-8 (2) win at No. 3 over Daniel Alameh and Erik Cederwall to offset Pacific's win at No. 2. That left the point in the hands of Toki Sherbakov and Adam Levie, who eked out a 9-8 (6) victory at No. 1 over Sem Verbeek and Denis Stolyarov.
Singles play featured several close battles, including a pair of three-set matches. But first the Tigers restored order with two straight set wins at No. 2 and No. 6, as Alex Golding defeated Kyle Miller 6-4 and 6-1 while Ben Mirkin dispatched Hugo Verdi-Fortin 7-6 (5), 6-1.
UC Davis quickly responded at No. 6 with George Horowitz claiming a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Cederwall.
With the match even at 2-2, the Tigers came up with a couple of clutch victories to earn the win.
Stolyarov recovered from a first set defeat to beat Kelley by a 2-6, 6-4, 1 score at No. 3 to put Pacific up 3-2.
Alameh then outlasted Bacharach 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 at No. 4 to clinch the match.
The Tigers upped their record to 15-8 while the Aggies concluded their season at 8-13.
Pacific takes on No. 2 seed Cal Poly in the semifinals at 3:00 p.m. Friday.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
MEN'S FIRST ROUND
(3) PACIFIC 4, (6) UC DAVIS 2
1. Sherbakov/Adam Levie (UCD) def. Verbeek/Stolyarov (PAC) - 9-8 (6)
2. Golding/Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Miller/Adam Luba (UCD) - 8-4
3. Bacharach/Kelley (UCD) def. Alameh/Cederwall (PAC) - 9-8 (2)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Sem Verbeek (PAC) vs. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) - DNF
2. Alex Golding (PAC) def. Kyle Miller (UCD) - 6-4, 6-1
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Parker Kelley (UCD) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Brett Bacharach (UCD) - 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
5. Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) - 7-6 (5), 6-1
6. George Horowitz (UCD) def. Erik Cederwall (PAC) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 4