Irvine, Calif.-In their second to last conference match of the season, the Tigers posted a final match score of 4-2 in a loss against UC Irvine. The Tigers came up short in the doubles competitions after only having secured one of the three matches.
In the singles competitions, the Tigers picked up victories in the No. 3 and No. 5 positions. Sophomore Denis Stolyarov secured a victory in the No. 3 position against Asami to post a final score of 6-4, 6-4. Sophomore Ben Mirkin picked up a win in the No. 5 slot against Hammel with a final score of 6-4, 6-3.
At the conclusion of the match, Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo reported that, "We lost a tough conference match to UC Irvine. They struggled throughout the regular season but have stepped up as of late. They came out firing andsome of our guys didn't. We need to do some things better in order to rebound for UC Riverside tomorrow."
The Tigers now prepare to face UC Riverside in their last match and last conference match of the regular 2013 season.
April 20, 2013
Irvine, Calif. – Anteater Tennis Stadium
1. Cheung/Hammel (UCI) def. Golding/Verbeek (PAC) – 8-4
2. Hamilton/Stolyarov (PAC) def. Agbayani/Hernandez (UCI) – 8-6
3. Jung/Pham (UCI) def. Alameh/Cederwall (PAC) – 8-4
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Alex Golding (PAC) – 6-2, 6-2
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Sem Verbeek (PAC) – 6-4, 6-4
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Reo Asami (UCI) – 6-4, 6-4
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) vs. Daniel Alameh (PAC) – 6-2, 3-6 (unf.)
5. Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) – 6-4, 6-3
6. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) def. Erik Cederwall (PAC) – 7-5, 6-4
UCI: 8-16, Big West 4-1
Pacific: 13-8, Big West 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles – 3, 2, 1 | Singles – 1, 2, 5, 3, 6
UC IRVINE 4, #71 PACIFIC 2