Pacific Drops One To No. 56 New Mexico 4-3
Stockton, Calif.-The Tigers got off to a rough start after only clinching the No. 3 position during the doubles competitions against the No. 56 Lobos. While Pacific posted solid scores and hit winners, their shots were matched by New Mexico early on in match play. However the Tigers were determined to make a statement in the singles events.
During the singles events, the Tigers clinched victories in the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 position against the Lobos. Senior Alex golding secured a match win against Jadon Phillips in the No. 2 position in straight sets with a confident score of 6-1, 6-4. Another Tiger making an impression on the Lobos was sophomore Denis Stolyarov who confidently defeat opponent Du Toit with a final match score of 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Daniel Alameh competing in the No. 4 position posted his victory against Mads Hegelund to earn a final score of 6-4, 6-4.
The Tigers are now 10-5 and 2-0 in the Big West Conference. They prepare to face Gonzaga on home courts (Hal Nelson Tennis Complex) March 24th at 1:00PM.
1. Jadon Phillips/Riaan Du Toit (UNM) def. Sem Verbeek/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-5
2. James Hignett/ Andrew Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Alex Golding/Alex Hamilton (PAC) 8-4
3. Ben Mirkin/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Samir Iftikhar/Simon Hegelund (UNM) 8-7(4)
1. Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Sem Verbeek (PAC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Alex Golding (PAC) def. Jadon Phillips (UNM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Riaan Du Toit (UNM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Mads Hegelund (UNM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Andy Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. James Hignett (UNM) def. Valentim Goncalves 6-0, 6-0
Match Results: Pacific 3, No. 56 New Mexico 4