Los Angeles, Calif.- The Tigers posted a win in their first match of the Spring 2013 season against Loyola Marymount while on the road in Southern California. In the doubles events, the Tigers split one and one. Freshmen Sem Verbeek and Daniel Alameh proved victorious with a final score of 8-6 against Zapala and Rivera. The Tigers were then able to pick up the doubles point when sophomores Ben Mirkin and Denis Stolyarov with a final score of 8-6 as well.
In the singles competitions, Daniel Alameh was the first Tiger to earn a win in straight sets. Alameh's final score was 6-2, 6-2 against Sebastian Bustamante. Sophomore Ben Mirkin was the second Tiger to post a victory in a three set battle. Mirkin dropped the first set 4-6 to opponent Felix van Kann but quickly recovered in the second set 6-4 and again in the third set 6-3. Then when the scores were tied for Loyola Marymount and Pacific 3-3 for the match overall, freshmen Sem Verbeek secured the win for Pacific. Verbeek posted his victory in a heated three set competition against Cristobal Rivera with a final match score of 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
The Tigers now prepare to face the nationally ranked Pepperdine Waves at Pepperdine.
(1) Court 1: Nicholas Bjerke & Sebastian Bustamante LMU d. Alex Golding & Alex Hamilton PAC, 8-6
(3) Court 2: Ben Mirkin & Denis Stolyarov PAC d. Jack Zapala & Cristobal Rivera LMU, 8-6
(2) Court 3: Sem Verbeek & Daniel Alameh PAC d. Daniel SImko & Felix van Kann LMU, 8-6
(3) Court 1: Nicholas Bjerke LMU d. Alex Golding PAC, 6-3, 6-4
(5) Court 2: Ben Mirkin PAC d. Felix van Kann LMU 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(1) Court 3: Othar Kordsachia LMU d. Alex Hamilton PAC, 6-1, 6-2
(4) Court 4: Todd Volmari LMU d. Denis Stolyarov PAC, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
(6) Court 5: Sem Verbeek PAC d. Cristobal Rivera LMU, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
(2) Court 6: Daniel Alameh PAC d. Sebastian Bustamante LMU, 6-2, 6-2
(*) indicates order of completion
Final Score: Pacific 4, LMU 3