Pacific Falls To UC Irvine 4-3
Stockton, Calif.-The Tigers came up short in their fourth conference match of the season to bring the Tigers to a current conference record of 1-3 and an overall record of 7-12. The Anteaters improved to 5-15 overall and a 2-1 conference record.
Pacific started solidly by picking up the doubles point, however couldn't secure the match in the singles events. The match fate was decided overall in the No. 4 position. The match that featured freshman Erik Cederwall and his opponent Jacob Jung proved to be a three set battle, in which Pacific came up short of victory in the third set.
At the conclusion of the match, Director of Tennis and Head Men's Tennis Coach Ryan Redondo stated, "Dissapointing loss today against conference opponent UC Irvine. We finally got a doubles point but couldn't stay strong throughout the match as a team. Irvine fought hard and came up with the victory. It was a good day for the upperclassmen in Golding and Castro, and we will look for Castro's guidance as he will compete in his final home match as our lone Senior tomorrow vs. UC Riverside. This is an important match for us to go out and play to win."
3. Erik Cederwall/Alex Hamilton (Pacific) def. Mika DeCoster/Jon Kazarian (Irvine) 8-6
1. Fabian Matthews (Irvine) def. Ben Mirkin (Pacific) 6-1 6-4
2. Ivan Castro (Pacific) def. Sam Gould (Irvine) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (6)
3. Alex Golding (Pacific) def. Jon Kazarian (Irvine) 6-0 6-0
4. Jacob Jung (Irvine) def. Erik Cederwall (Pacific) 3-6, 6-1 6-1
5. Shuhei Shibuhara (Irvine) def. Valentim Goncalves Jr. (Pacific) 6-3 6-4
6. Ryan Cheung (Irvine) def. Alex Hamilton (Pacific) 6-4 7-6(4)
Final Score: Pacific 3, UC Irvine 4