Tigers Cap off Regular Season with a 1-1 Draw against Gonzaga

Photo by Kieth Sanpei
Photo by Kieth Sanpei

Spokane, Wash. – The Tigers capped off their regular season with a 1-1 draw against the Gonzaga Bulldogs Saturday night. The tie brings the Tigers to 12-3-2 overall, 4-1-2 in West Coast Conference action and also brings the host Bulldogs to 8-8-2 on the year, 2-4-1 in conference play.

"We were terrific in the first half and put ourselves in a great position to be up 1-0," said head coach Ryan Jorden. "Gonzaga fights and competes, so it was a really hard-fought game and unfortunately we weren't able to get that second goal to win the game."

In the 15th minute Andres Ochoa sent a corner into the box looking for a streaking Tristan Blackmon, but goalie Ben Willis made a leaping punch-out to deny the Tiger opportunity. Just two minutes later Anthony Orendain came sprinting down the right side drawing two defenders, allowing him to dish to an open Julio Cervantes who was able to tap it past the 'keeper for the 1-0 Tiger lead, his 9th goal of the year. This was Pacific's lone shot in the first half and they made it count. On the other end the Bulldogs registered four shots, with goalie Curtis Goldsmith stopping the lone shot-on-goal.

To open up the second half the Bulldogs came out looking to knot the score. Gon Ulowetz received a pass at the top of the box and headed it towards the goal, but Goldsmith gobbled it up. In the 62nd minute however, Gonzaga finally found the back of the net off a header from Ulowetz to bring the score to 1-1. Shortly after the Orange and Black marched right back looking to regain the lead as Cervantes sent a header of his own towards the goal, but the ball sailed just over the cross bar. Both sides traded chances to no avail as the second half came to an end and we headed to overtime tied 1-1.

In sudden death Goldsmith kept the Tigers alive by making a difficult save after the Bulldogs' Dustin Ferger sent a laser on goal after heading it to himself in the box. In the 104th minute the Tigers lined up for a free kick roughly five yards outside of the box looking for the game-winner but Ochoa's shot curved past the left post, resulting in a goal kick. In the end both defenses overmatched the offenses, resulting in the 1-1 draw.

The Orange and Black registered seven shots on the night to go with five saves from Goldsmith. An at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament is still within reach for Pacific and the Tigers will tune into selection show this Monday at 10 AM on NCAA.com.

Be sure to follow @PacificMSoccer on Twitter and @Pacific_Soccer on Instagram for the latest news and updates on Pacific Men's Soccer.