Saint Mary's Sneaks By Men's Soccer, 1-0

Saint Mary's Sneaks By Men's Soccer, 1-0

Moraga, Calif. - A late penalty kick goal by the Gaels handed Saint Mary's a 1-0 win over the Pacific men's soccer team Saturday afternoon in Moraga.

Pacific goalkeeper Josh Adachi made six saves, but the Gaels' Lucas Champenois finished from the dot in the 78th minute for the game's only goal.

"We were pleased that we gained ground on the defensive side of things. We didn't allow a goal in the run of play, which was a really big step for us," head coach Ryan Jorden said. "I'm disappointed that we couldn't get on the board offensively. I thought [the Gaels] were well organized and their goalkeeper made some nice saves.

The Tigers' first chance game with Blackmon came in on the right side but had his shot blocked. A moment later, Keenan Whyte ripped a shot wide of the net.

Jamie Bent blasted a shot from distance but Gael keeper Andre Rawls shuffled to his left to make the save in the 25th minute.

Richie Lee picked up the ball at the top of the box in the 39th minute, but the defense collapsed down before he could get a shot off. Lee found Julio Cervantes, but his shot from an angle was knocked down by Rawls.

Pacific drew a corner kick just before halftime, but the low cross was cleared away by Saint Mary's cleared it out. Following a foul, Saint Mary's drove the restart into the box and Michael Semenza's spinning shot with six seconds left was saved by Josh Adachi.

The Gaels out-shot Pacific 8-4, but the Tigers maintained an even 2-2 mark in shots on goal.

In the second half, Kalei Gallarde led a run and slotted a through ball for Lee, but he was smothered inside the box in the 52nd minute.

Daniel Quenga stopped a Gaels chance on the defensive end and after a restart, Bent lobbed a serve into the box, but Lee's shot sailed high. Lee drew a foul just outside the box, and Esteban De La Torre's shot to the opposite posted was batted away by Rawls in the 58th minute. Adachi came up with a save on Carlo Eikani at the other end on the counter-attack.

Pacific had a pair of opportunities off corner kicks in the 67th minute, but didn't get a shot away. Eikani's shot in transition sailed just wide of the net in the 70th for Saint Mary's.

Semenza's left footed shot in the 73rd minute was scooped up by Adachi, and Cervantes quickly countered on the other end, but his shot ran high over the cross bar.

In the 78th minute, Saint Mary's on the break earned a penalty kick as Champenois created a chance and a shot from Nathan Grixti was blocked by a handball.

Champenois finished to the lower left for a 1-0 lead at the 77:39 mark.

In the waning seconds, Andres Ochoa served a ball into the box but a header by Christian Aldama went over the cross bar.

The Tigers fall to 2-8-0 on the year while Saint Mary's moves to 7-3-2. Pacific will host the Gaels on Nov. 15 in the season finale for both teams.

Pacific is back in action on Monday, at 3:30 p.m. at home against Cal State Fullerton.